Mussels In A Creamy Garlic Butter Sauce
In the 1990s Sea Harvest decided to farm mussels in Saldanha Bay. Innovative! The mussels grew on thick ropes dangling in the water, protected by cotton bags. By the time the cotton perished, the mussels had grown. All that’s left to do is smother them in creamy garlic butter sauce. Delectable!
- 500 g half-shelled mussels
- 60 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (62.5 ml) double cream
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Do not remove the mussels from their shells. Steam on moderate heat until cooked. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter on moderate heat and then add the garlic. Turn down the heat, then allow the garlic to almost simmer in the butter without it burning.
- Add the cream and lemon zest then bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place the cooked hot mussels on a platter and then pour over the garlic butter sauce. Serve warm.