FISH CURRY COTTAGE PIE BY NEO NONTSO
A delicious, warm dish that hits the spot on those chilly nights. Created by Neo Nontso!
Hake Medallions 450 g
Ingredients for the fish:
- 1 pack Sea Harvest Hake Medallions
- One chopped large onion
- Two cloves of garlic
- One Tablespoon curry powder
- Half a cup of flour
- One chicken stock cube
- One can of diced tomatoes
- One teaspoon of dry thyme
- A handful of chopped coriander
- One spoon of curry paste
- One teaspoon of turmeric powder
- One tablespoon olive oil
- Three bay leaves
- One teaspoon Whole coriander
- 250ml of water
- Salt & pepper
Ingredients for the mashed potatoes:
- 5 large potatoes
- One tablespoon butter
- Half a cup of milk
- One teaspoon Curry powder
- One teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
Method for Mashed Potato:
- Boil 5 unpeeled potatoes in a large pot for 45 minutes with water and a little bit of salt.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through and soft, run under cold water and then drain them and let them cool off for atleast 5-10 minutes
- Gently peel the potatoes and transfer back into the pot on the stove.
- Your stove should be on low heat. Mash the potatoes using a potato masher or wooden spoon.
- Once the potatoes are coarsely mashed allow to cook for a further two minutes on low heat.
- Gradually add in the milk and butter while mashing the potatoes further.
- Add in the aromat, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Allow the mash to slightly cook down before add to the cottage pie
Method for the curry:
- In a bowl combine the flour with a little salt and pepper.
- Cut the hake into bite sizes and coat the pieces with the seasoned flour.
- In a large pan, brown the hake pieces on high heat in sunflower oil until golden brown.
- Remove the fish from the pan and set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion until it becomes see-through, add in your garlic, dry thyme and grated ginger.
- When the ingredients start to become fragrant, add in the curry paste, curry powder, whole coriander & turmeric and continue to cook for one minute.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock cube and one cup of water
- Allow the curry to cook for 25 minutes on low heat. (Keep adding water if necessary)
- Season your curry with salt & pepper and then add in the browned hake medallions & fresh coriander and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Once your curry is done cooking, allow it to cool down for about 10 minutes
- Transfer the curry into an oven safe casserole dish.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the mash in batches and gently place over the fish curry.
- Once your cottage pie is ready, place it into a preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes on 180 degrees
- When your pie is nice and golden, remove from the oven and allow it to cool down for a few minutes before serving!