Crumbed Squid Rings and Cape Hake Gatsby
The Gatsby has a long-standing tradition in Cape Town, especially in the Cape Flats, Woodstock and Salt River areas. Late Friday and Saturday night food includes Gatsbys, chip rolls and burgers. This is our calamari and Cape Hake version of the great Gatsby. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Crumbed Squid Rings 800 g
- 800 g Sea Harvest Crumed Squid Rings
- 400 g Sea Harvest Hake fillets, thawed and cut into strips
- 125 g Cake wheat flour
- 15 ml Fish Spice
- 15 ml Lemon & Black Pepper Spice
- 3 Eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 500 g Potato chips
- Potato seasoning
- 1 large oval Bread
- Sweet chilli sauce
- Chilli sauce
- Tartar sauce
- Cucumber slices
- Shredded lettuce
- Onion slices
- Heat the oil to 180°C and fry the calamari for 2 to 3 minutes and the hake for 5 minutes in hot oil until cooked or the calamari and hake floats in the fryer. Remove from the fryer and place onto a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
- While the calamari and hake is frying, fry the chips in separate oil. Once cooked, remove from the oil and place onto a paper towel to drain off any excess oil. Season and keep aside.
To assemble the Gatsby:
- Cut open the loaf of bread on its side.
- Start with the seasoned chips on the base of the bread, followed by your choice of sauces, the calamari and hake, some more sauce and then lastly the salad greens.
Tightly wrap the bread in foil and keep warm until ready to serve.