Salonika Saganaki was created by the people of Northern Greece. The spicy hints of red chili and paprika are characteristic of the Pontian Greeks who also happen to love their seafood. This dish is the perfect marriage of delicate flavours of the sea and gentle layers of spices that make the taste buds tingle.
Chunky Hake Fillets 500 g
- 500 g Cape Hake fillets
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 ml) Rice
- 400 g Creamy pasta sauce or ready-made white sauce (mushroom or peppercorn sauce works well)
- 1 small Red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 100-150 g Feta cheese
- 250 g punnet Mushrooms, cleaned and cut into halves
- Pinch of paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Season fillets and either pan fry, grill or oven bake with olive oil.
- Cook the rice according to the back of pack cooking instructions.
- Place the cooked rice into a rectangular ovenproof dish, 290 x 210mm in dimension.
- Place the cooked fish on top of the rice and set aside until the sauce is ready.
For the Saganaki Sauce, prepare as follows:
- Add finely chopped red chilli, feta (cut into chunks) and mushrooms to pasta sauce. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the pasta sauce on top of the fish, then add a dash of paprika on top of the sauce (very little, only for flavour).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 5 minutes to allow for the feta to soften. Remove from the oven and serve.
- Enjoy together with a Greek Salad & fresh homemade village bread.