Hake and Onion Quiche
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
The provençal influences of nutmeg, eggs, cream and chives all work towards this hake reaching its full potential.
Use these products
- 400g Simply Steam Roasted Garlic & Black Pepper cooked to instructions on pack, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry
- 40 g butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3 T chopped fresh parsley
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup cream
- ¼ cup milk
- A good pinch of nutmeg
- 1 T flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup snipped chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line and grease a 22 cm loose bottomed flan tin with the pastry, overlap the sheets and press it into the base and up the sides of the tin, then trim.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and line with greaseproof paper, pour in some dry beans and bake the pastry blind for 10 minutes, remove the paper and beans and set aside. Heat the butter and gently cook the onions until soft and golden.
- Spoon the onions onto the base of the pastry, now top with the cheese, then the parsley and top with the hake.
- Beat together the eggs and cream, milk, nutmeg, flour, salt, pepper and chives and gently pour into the pastry case.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve with a fresh tomato salad dressed with basil pesto.